Former Tunisian PM declines to head new govt
Tunis: Tunisia`s moderate Islamist Ennahda Party said on Thursday that the former prime minister and secretary general of the party declined an offer to head a new coalition government.
Hamadi Jebali, the prime minister for well over a year, resigned after Ennahda, his own political party, opposed his efforts to resolve the country`s political crisis by putting together a government of technocrats.
The party is now "engaged in internal consultations and discussions with its partners to propose a nominee to the president of the republic before the end of this week," the party said in a statement.
The TAP news agency quoted Ennahda spokesman Nejib Gharbi as saying four other candidates from the party, all ministers in the old government, have been shortlisted by the party.
Tunisia was plunged into crisis following the assassination of a leftist politician on February 06, which fuelled anti-government demonstrations. Jebali offered to form a government of technocrats to run the country until new elections.
As the country that sparked the region-wide Arab Spring pro-democracy uprisings after it overthrew its own dictator in January 2011, Tunisia`s transition is being closely watched in the area.
Speaking after his resignation, Jebali said he would only return to the job if he was allowed to put together a government open to all parties.
Hardline members of Ennahda have refused to deal with certain opposition parties, particularly the right-of-centre Tunisia Calls, which includes many members of the former regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened