Former US president Bush mum on mosque furore
Washington: Former US president George W
Bush, who worked hard for years to convince fellow Americans
that Islam is a "religion of peace," declined comment on Tuesday
about a controversial mosque-building project.
Bush, through spokesman David Sherzer, stayed out of the
political dispute over plans to build an Islamic community
center that would include a mosque near the site of the
September 11, 2001 terrorist strikes in New York.
Some of Bush`s fellow Republicans, including former vice
presidential hopeful Sarah Palin and other potential 2012
White House hopefuls have sharply assailed plans to build the
center two city blocks away from the site of the former World
Trade Center, an urban scar commonly called "Ground Zero"
The former president won generally good reviews for his
repeated public appeals to Americans not to blame all Muslims
for the terrorist strikes carried out by Osama bin Laden`s
Al-Qaeda terrorist network.
Bush visited the Islamic Center in Washington six days
after the attacks and declared: "The face of terror is not the
true faith of Islam. That`s not what Islam is all about. Islam
is peace. These terrorists don`t represent peace. They
represent evil and war."
He also bluntly scolded any Americans who would take
their anger and anguish on US Muslims, warning: "That should
not and that will not stand in America."
"Those who feel like they can intimidate our fellow
citizens to take out their anger don`t represent the best of
America, they represent the worst of humankind, and they
should be ashamed of that kind of behaviour," he said.
Republicans have denounced the planned mosque
construction on grounds that building a Muslim place of
worship near the place where Islamist extremists attacked the
United States offends the memory of the victims of 9-11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’