Former US Presidents try to keep world attention on Haiti
Port-Au-Prince: Former US Presidents Bill
Clinton and George W Bush visited Port-au-Prince and promised Haitians the world had not forgotten them 10 weeks after the deadliest earthquake of modern times.
"In the short-term, how can the people of Haiti stop
living from day-to-day and at least live from month-to-month,
know they`ll be OK for a month, their children will be OK for
a month," implored Clinton.
The unlikely duo met President Rene Preval and Prime
Minister Jean-Max Bellerive before touring one of the many
camps yesterday, where hundreds of thousands of survivors are
at risk from the coming rains and hurricane season.
"It`s one thing to see it on TV, it`s another thing to
see it first-hand and hopefully our trip will help remind
people in our country that Haiti needs help," Bush said
against the backdrop of the ruined presidential palace.
The pair head the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund, a relief
organisation set up after the January 12 quake that leveled
parts of the capital Port-au-Prince, killing at least 220,000
people and leaving 1.3 million homeless.
They were tapped by President Barack Obama to lead a
bipartisan fundraising campaign and oversee long-term
reconstruction and relief efforts in the country, the poorest
nation in the Americas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow