Former US soldier sentenced to 30 years for espionage
Washington: A former US soldier has been sentenced to 30 years in jail for trying to spy on behalf of Russia, the US Justice Department said.
In September and October 2012, Robert Hoffman II, now 40, a 20-year veteran of the US Navy, turned over classified defence information to FBI agents he believed were Russian, according to Virginia prosecutors.
In the Navy, Hoffman was deployed on US submarines where he worked with electronic sensors to collect information on potential adversaries.
In that role, he was awarded security clearances and agreed not to disclose information to unauthorised persons, the statement said yesterday.
During the FBI operation, Hoffman asked the undercover agents he thought were his contacts for "compensation for his activities in the form of job assistance or payments based upon the risk and effort involved," it added.
On three separate occasions, he turned over "secret," "top-secret" and "sensitive" information saved on an encrypted USB memory stick, leaving it, per prior agreement, in a hole at the base of a tree.
He was arrested in December 2012, charged in the spring of 2013 and found guilty after a five day trial in August in Virginia. His sentence was made public yesterday.
"By attempting to hand over some of America`s most closely held military secrets, Robert Hoffman put US service members and this country at risk," said John Carlin, Acting Assistant Attorney General for National Security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what