Former US Vice President Cheney hospitalised
Washington: An aide to Dick Cheney says the former Vice President is in George Washington Hospital after experiencing chest pains.
Cheney`s assistant, Peter Long, said in a statement yesterday that the 69-year-old Cheney was resting comfortably and his doctors were evaluating the situation.
Cheney, who was George W Bush`s Vice President, has a history of heart problems and uses a pacemaker.
In 2008, doctors restored a normal rhythm to his heart with an electric shock. It was the second time in less than a year that Cheney had experienced and been treated for an
atrial fibrillation, an abnormal rhythm involving the upper chambers of the heart.
Cheney has had four heart attacks, starting when he was 37. He has had quadruple bypass surgery and two artery-clearing angioplasties.
The former vice president has kept a high profile since leaving the White House. He has sparred with the Obama administration over plans to close the detention facility at
Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and hold the trials of several high profile detainees in civilian courts rather than military tribunals. Most recently, he made a surprise appearance at the
Conservative Political Action Conference, where he accompanied his daughter Liz. He was greeted with chants of "Run, Dick, Run," but said "I am not going to do it."
Among his extensive government service, Cheney served as defence secretary under President George HW Bush. He supports lifting the ban on gays openly serving in the military, citing a cultural shift in the 17 years since Congress passed the ban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa