Former Zimbabwe white ruler`s farm seized
Harare: The manager of a ranch owned by Zimbabwe`s last white ruler says he has been ordered by President Robert Mugabe`s loyalists to quit the property to allow it to be occupied by a state institution.
Farm manager Owen Jarman today said he has not yet been given a date for him and 35 workers to vacate the 592-hectare Gwenoro farm in the south-western Shurugwi district.
Former Rhodesian Prime Minister Ian Smith, who yielded power to Mugabe in 1980, died in 2007 in South Africa, aged 88.
Jarman, running the farm since 1994, said it was still owned by Smith`s surviving son and daughter, who both live outside Zimbabwe.
He said new occupiers from the government`s Midlands State University had begun tilling the fields for the new farming season.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory