Four British lawmakers charged with false accounting
London: Three Labour MPs and a Tory peer have been charged with false accounting under the Theft Act in Britain`s blackest day in its parliamentary history.
Labour`s Elliot Morley, David Chaytor and Jim Devine and Tory shadow communities minister Lord Hanningfield will all be prosecuted, the director of Public Prosecutions, Keir Starmer said.
A fifth criminal investigation, believed to involve Labour peer Baroness Uddin, of Bangladeshi origin, is still ongoing and charges are under consideration.
Britain`s Prime Minister Gordon Brown said the scandal was a "scar" on British democracy as he warned that only a radical overhaul of Parliament would quell the public`s anger.
The charges follow a special investigation set up by Metropolitan Police commissioner sir Paul Stephenson weeks after the scandal broke last May.
The files of the six parliamentarians accused of worst excesses were passed by police to the Crown Prosecution Service in November and December.
Morley, Labour MP for Scunthorpe and former agriculture minister, faces two counts under the Theft Act 1968 of dishonestly claiming expenses for his mortgage. Chaytor, Labour MP for Bury North, faces three charges under the Theft Act 1968 for false accounting over his invoices for IT services and second home claims.
Devine, Labour MP for Livingston, faces two charges under the Theft Act of false accounting over false invoices for cleaning and stationery.
Lord Hanningfield, the leader of Essex County Council, faces six charges under the Act relating to claims for overnight stays in London from March 2006 to May last year.
He claimed for the House of Lords overnight allowance, but had driven home and did not stay overnight, said Starmer. He was suspended from the Tory front bench and had the whip withdrawn.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM