Four British lawmakers charged with false accounting
London: Three Labour MPs and a Tory peer have been charged with false accounting under the Theft Act in Britain`s blackest day in its parliamentary history.
Labour`s Elliot Morley, David Chaytor and Jim Devine and Tory shadow communities minister Lord Hanningfield will all be prosecuted, the director of Public Prosecutions, Keir Starmer said.
A fifth criminal investigation, believed to involve Labour peer Baroness Uddin, of Bangladeshi origin, is still ongoing and charges are under consideration.
Britain`s Prime Minister Gordon Brown said the scandal was a "scar" on British democracy as he warned that only a radical overhaul of Parliament would quell the public`s anger.
The charges follow a special investigation set up by Metropolitan Police commissioner sir Paul Stephenson weeks after the scandal broke last May.
The files of the six parliamentarians accused of worst excesses were passed by police to the Crown Prosecution Service in November and December.
Morley, Labour MP for Scunthorpe and former agriculture minister, faces two counts under the Theft Act 1968 of dishonestly claiming expenses for his mortgage. Chaytor, Labour MP for Bury North, faces three charges under the Theft Act 1968 for false accounting over his invoices for IT services and second home claims.
Devine, Labour MP for Livingston, faces two charges under the Theft Act of false accounting over false invoices for cleaning and stationery.
Lord Hanningfield, the leader of Essex County Council, faces six charges under the Act relating to claims for overnight stays in London from March 2006 to May last year.
He claimed for the House of Lords overnight allowance, but had driven home and did not stay overnight, said Starmer. He was suspended from the Tory front bench and had the whip withdrawn.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video