Four civilians killed in artillery fire in Ukraine
Maryinka: Artillery fire killed at least four people in an overnight attack on a residential area in eastern Ukraine, spurring more people to flee the besieged city of Donetsk and its suburbs on Saturday to take their chances elsewhere.
Pro-Russian insurgents last week retreated from the strategic city of Slovyansk and holed up in Donetsk, a city of one million, and potentially the final frontier for the rebels. The overnight artillery strike in Maryinka, a western suburb of Donetsk, hit four apartment blocks near a rebel base. It was unclear, however, which side fired at the buildings.
"Even the fascists didn`t do what they did. So many peaceful citizens," said a resident who gave her name as Valentina Mikhailovna. "Look what`s happening! Dead, dead, dead people!"
One damaged apartment was still burning at midday despite the efforts of firefighters. Another building was smoldering.
AP journalists heard outgoing mortar fire from the area at noon today, suggesting that the rebels sometimes fire at the troops from the residential area, prompting Ukrainian forces to return fire.
Fighting between the rebels and government troops has left more than 400 dead and tens of thousands have fled their homes, in many cases crossing the border into Russia.
The rhetoric on both sides is increasingly intransigent.
The attack in Donetsk came hours after Ukraine`s president, Petro Poroshenko, vowed vengeance for the deaths of 19 troops in an insurgent rocket attack near the Russian border.
"For every life of our soldiers, the militants will pay with tens and hundreds of their own," Poroshenko said. "Not one terrorist will evade responsibility. Everybody will get what is coming to them."
Meanwhile, the European Union moved to impose sanctions on 11 leaders of the pro-Moscow rebellion.
Targets of the asset freeze and travel ban included two Russian spin doctors, Alexander Borodai, prime minister of the separatist Donetsk People`s Republic, and his counterpart in the Luhansk People`s Republic, Marat Bashirov.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof