Four die in fire on Brazil carnival float
Sao Paulo: At least four people died and six were injured in the early hours Tuesday when a carnival float caught fire during a samba school parade in the Brazilian city of Santos, paramedics said.
The fire broke out shortly before 1.30 a.m. when one of the floats of the Sangue Jovem samba school brushed against a power line causing a short circuit. Flames quickly consumed the vehicle and the exhibit it was carrying.
Sangue Jovem is a school made up of fans of the Santos soccer club, and the float that went up in smoke was dedicated to Brazilian soccer legend Pele as part of a parade whose theme was the richness of the country`s African heritage.
The six injured were taken to hospital in Santos, a seaside city in Sao Paulo state.
Because of the tragedy, Santos city hall called off the local carnival celebrations, which were meant to continue all day Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31