Four die in Mexico prison brawl
Mexico City: Four inmates died and 16 were injured in a massive brawl at a prison in the northern Mexican state of Zacatecas, authorities said Friday.
The brawl appeared to be part of a struggle for control of the inmate population, the warden said.
All the injuries were caused by planks, poles filed to a point and hunks of stone from benches broken up, he said.
The municipal and state law enforcement agencies and the police were called in to help the guards restore order, a task that took two hours, according to Bernal.
The Zacatecas state Attorney General`s Office has opened an investigation into the incident, the warden said.
Bernal took charge at Cieneguillas prison in the wake of the Aug 22 disappearance of then-warden Fabiola Quiroz Zarate, who is thought to have been kidnapped.
"There is no knowledge of her whereabouts nor any news in that respect," Bernal said Friday.
Mexico`s worst prison violence in five years took place in February at a penitentiary in the northern state of Nuevo Leon, where 44 people were killed to conceal the escape of around 30 inmates from the Los Zetas drug cartel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?