Four die in Mexico prison brawl
Mexico City: Four inmates died and 16 were injured in a massive brawl at a prison in the northern Mexican state of Zacatecas, authorities said Friday.
The brawl appeared to be part of a struggle for control of the inmate population, the warden said.
All the injuries were caused by planks, poles filed to a point and hunks of stone from benches broken up, he said.
The municipal and state law enforcement agencies and the police were called in to help the guards restore order, a task that took two hours, according to Bernal.
The Zacatecas state Attorney General`s Office has opened an investigation into the incident, the warden said.
Bernal took charge at Cieneguillas prison in the wake of the Aug 22 disappearance of then-warden Fabiola Quiroz Zarate, who is thought to have been kidnapped.
"There is no knowledge of her whereabouts nor any news in that respect," Bernal said Friday.
Mexico`s worst prison violence in five years took place in February at a penitentiary in the northern state of Nuevo Leon, where 44 people were killed to conceal the escape of around 30 inmates from the Los Zetas drug cartel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video