Four Egypt policemen killed in Sinai attack: security
Cairo: Gunmen killed four Egyptian policemen in the restive northern Sinai on Saturday, a security source said, with police blaming the attack on "takfiri" jihadist militants.
Militants in the Sinai Peninsula have stepped up attacks on troops and police since the military ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi last July.
A security source said the men were killed "on the road between the towns of Rafah and El-Arish in north Sinai when takfiri elements forced the pick-up they were driving to stop, made the four policemen get out and opened fire on them".
The policemen had been returning to their posts after the weekend, the source said, adding that the attackers fled into the desert.
Most militant attacks have hit the north of the mostly desert Sinai Peninsula, but they have also extended their reach to Cairo and the Nile Delta.
Saturday`s shooting came just hours after bombings killed two people in a Cairo suburb.
The makeshift devices in a telecommunications building under construction in the October 6 suburb were detonated by a mobile phone signal, police told AFP.
Medics said the watchman`s wife and 18-year-old daughter were killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy