Four held for Xinjiang bomb attack in China
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Wednesday, August 25, 2010, 19:13
  
Beijing: Four persons, allegedly part of the ring that engineered a bomb attack in China's Uyghur- dominated province, have been arrested, officials said on Wednesday.

The bomb attack on Aug 19 on the outskirts of Aksu City in southern Xinjiang, had killed seven people and injured 14 when three persons drove an electric tricycle into a crowd and detonated explosives, causing the casualties.

Officials said the arrests had been made with "great support of the local residents".

The ring, allegedly headed by Ehmet Kurban, had six members, two of whom had died carrying out the attack, said a spokesman with the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Regional Department of Public Security.

"It is a violent criminal case. With the great support of local residents, the other four suspects had been detained by Aug 22," the spokesman said.

"This violent crime seriously endangered public safety and property. The public security authorities will crack down on violent criminal activities in all forms relentlessly and punish those criminals according to law," the state-run Xinhua news agency quoted him as saying.

Xinjiang witnessed large scale clashes between ethnic Uyghurs Muslims and the Han Chinese settlers in 2008 in which nearly 200 people were killed and several hundred people injured.

PTI


First Published: Wednesday, August 25, 2010, 19:13


comments powered by Disqus