Four held for Xinjiang bomb attack in China
Beijing: Four persons, allegedly part of
the ring that engineered a bomb attack in China`s Uyghur-
dominated province, have been arrested, officials said on Wednesday.
The bomb attack on Aug 19 on the outskirts of Aksu
City in southern Xinjiang, had killed seven people and injured
14 when three persons drove an electric tricycle into a crowd
and detonated explosives, causing the casualties.
Officials said the arrests had been made with "great
support of the local residents".
The ring, allegedly headed by Ehmet Kurban, had six
members, two of whom had died carrying out the attack, said a
spokesman with the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Regional
Department of Public Security.
"It is a violent criminal case. With the great support
of local residents, the other four suspects had been detained
by Aug 22," the spokesman said.
"This violent crime seriously endangered public safety
and property. The public security authorities will crack down
on violent criminal activities in all forms relentlessly and
punish those criminals according to law," the state-run Xinhua
news agency quoted him as saying.
Xinjiang witnessed large scale clashes between ethnic
Uyghurs Muslims and the Han Chinese settlers in 2008 in which
nearly 200 people were killed and several hundred people
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH