Four held in China for spreading doomsday rumours
Beijing: Four people have been detained in China`s Chongqing city for spreading doomsday rumors, police said Saturday.
Two men who used a loudspeaker to proclaim the end of the world on the city`s streets Sunday received 10 days of administrative detention, while another two who handed out related pamphlets Wednesday received the same penalty, reported Xinhua.
Rumours stating that the world will end Dec 21, 2012 are popular in China, despite having been debunked multiple times. The rumour is related to myths stating that a calendar used by the ancient Maya accurately predicts the end of the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars