Four held in China for spreading doomsday rumours
Beijing: Four people have been detained in China`s Chongqing city for spreading doomsday rumors, police said Saturday.
Two men who used a loudspeaker to proclaim the end of the world on the city`s streets Sunday received 10 days of administrative detention, while another two who handed out related pamphlets Wednesday received the same penalty, reported Xinhua.
Rumours stating that the world will end Dec 21, 2012 are popular in China, despite having been debunked multiple times. The rumour is related to myths stating that a calendar used by the ancient Maya accurately predicts the end of the world.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!