Four held in China for spreading doomsday rumours
Beijing: Four people have been detained in China`s Chongqing city for spreading doomsday rumors, police said Saturday.
Two men who used a loudspeaker to proclaim the end of the world on the city`s streets Sunday received 10 days of administrative detention, while another two who handed out related pamphlets Wednesday received the same penalty, reported Xinhua.
Rumours stating that the world will end Dec 21, 2012 are popular in China, despite having been debunked multiple times. The rumour is related to myths stating that a calendar used by the ancient Maya accurately predicts the end of the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad