Four held in China for spreading doomsday rumours
Beijing: Four people have been detained in China`s Chongqing city for spreading doomsday rumors, police said Saturday.
Two men who used a loudspeaker to proclaim the end of the world on the city`s streets Sunday received 10 days of administrative detention, while another two who handed out related pamphlets Wednesday received the same penalty, reported Xinhua.
Rumours stating that the world will end Dec 21, 2012 are popular in China, despite having been debunked multiple times. The rumour is related to myths stating that a calendar used by the ancient Maya accurately predicts the end of the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon