Four Italian journalists abducted in Syria
Rome: Four Italian journalists have been abducted in northern Syria, Italy`s ANSA news agency reported.
A foreign ministry statement said a crisis response team has been set up to handle the issue.
Italian authorities called the media to be as careful as possible in their reports, citing the safety of the journalists.
"The safety of our compatriots remains our foremost priority," ANSA quoted the statement as saying.
The news came shortly after Syrian President Bashar al-Assad signed a decree to toughen punishment for kidnapping charges.
Currently, anyone convicted of kidnapping a person will be punished with lifetime hard labour. If a hostage was killed, injured or raped, his or her abductors will be executed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan