Four Italian journalists abducted in Syria
Rome: Four Italian journalists have been abducted in northern Syria, Italy`s ANSA news agency reported.
A foreign ministry statement said a crisis response team has been set up to handle the issue.
Italian authorities called the media to be as careful as possible in their reports, citing the safety of the journalists.
"The safety of our compatriots remains our foremost priority," ANSA quoted the statement as saying.
The news came shortly after Syrian President Bashar al-Assad signed a decree to toughen punishment for kidnapping charges.
Currently, anyone convicted of kidnapping a person will be punished with lifetime hard labour. If a hostage was killed, injured or raped, his or her abductors will be executed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report