Four Italian journalists abducted in Syria
Rome: Four Italian journalists have been abducted in northern Syria, Italy`s ANSA news agency reported.
A foreign ministry statement said a crisis response team has been set up to handle the issue.
Italian authorities called the media to be as careful as possible in their reports, citing the safety of the journalists.
"The safety of our compatriots remains our foremost priority," ANSA quoted the statement as saying.
The news came shortly after Syrian President Bashar al-Assad signed a decree to toughen punishment for kidnapping charges.
Currently, anyone convicted of kidnapping a person will be punished with lifetime hard labour. If a hostage was killed, injured or raped, his or her abductors will be executed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter