Four journalists detained in Iran
New York: The New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) has urged the Iranian government to immediately release four detained journalists, three of them with US-Iranian nationality, a media report said Friday.
Two of the detainees are Jason Rezaian, Iran`s correspondent for the Washington Post, and his wife Yeganeh Salehi, a correspondent for the UAE-based newspaper the National, Al Jazeera quoted the CPJ as saying in a statement.
"We call on Iranian authorities to immediately explain why Jason Rezaian, Yeganeh Salehi, and two other journalists have been detained, and we call for their immediate release," the statement said.
Names of the other two detained journalists have not been revealed but the Washington Post said they were "freelance photojournalists", the statement added.
Rezaian, 38, has dual US-Iranian nationality and has worked for the Post in Tehran since 2012.
The Post reported that Salehi "has applied for US permanent residency".
US State Department deputy spokeswoman Marie Harf said Washington was aware of the reports of the detention of three US citizens in Iran.
"We are not able to comment further at this time due to privacy considerations. Our highest priority is the safety and welfare of US citizens abroad," Harf said.
Iran does not recognise dual citizenship.
According to the CPJ, there are at least 35 journalists in prison in Iran.
Iran had detained four Iranian-American academics in 2007 for four months for alleged spying accusations.
An Iranian-Canadian journalist, Maziar Bahari, and an Iranian-American journalist, Roxana Saberi, were detained in Iran for four months in 2009 also on spying charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you