Four killed in bombings in Iraq`s Kurdistan
Arbil (Iraq): At least four people were killed and some 29 wounded in multiple bomb explosions in the city of Arbil, the capital of Iraq`s autonomous region of Kurdistan Sunday, a Kurdish official said.
"We have at least four people killed and 29 wounded in the blasts," Xinhua quoted provincial Health Minister Rekawt Hama Rasheed as telling reporters.
The first blast took place in the afternoon when a booby-trapped car, parked near the Kurdish security headquarters, locally known as Asaiysh forces, exploded in the 60th Street thoroughfare in Arbil, a local security source told Xinhua.
At least three more blasts and heavy gunfire followed the first explosion, as the security forces blocked the roads leading to the scene, the source said.
The last major attack in the region took place May 4, 2005, when a suicide bomber blew himself up at the local office of the Kurdistan Democratic Party, which also served as Arbil`s police recruiting centre.
That attack had killed 60 people and wounded some 160 others.
Unlike other parts of Iraq, the Kurdistan autonomous region has been relatively calm during the years that followed the US-led invasion of the country in 2003.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory