Four killed in clashes in Libya`s Benghazi
Tripoli: Four people have been killed when a protest outside a base for security forces in eastern Libya turned violent less than a week after suspected Islamic militants killed four policemen at the same compound.
A police official in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi said protesters and suspected Islamic militants had gathered outside the compound to demand the release of a man being held in connection with the assassination last month of the head of one of the city`s security agencies, National Security Chief Col Farag el-Dersi.
Some in the crowd opened fire on the compound during the protest and clashed with police, the security official said. Assailants then launched a rocket-propelled grenade on a military vehicle that was sent to the scene. The official spoke on condition of anonymity in line with regulations.
The official said two civilians, a suspected Islamic militant and police officer were killed yesterday. Nine people were wounded, including the head of a powerful militia aligned with the military.
In Benghazi, where the revolt that unseated longtime ruler Muammar Gaddafi began last year, security has sharply deteriorated over the past year. An attack in September on the US Consulate in Benghazi killed US ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and three other Americans.
Yesterday`s attack takes place just four days after four policemen were shot dead when militants attacked the same security compound. The unknown assailants attacked the security compound in an apparent attempt to break into a nearby detention centre where the suspect in el-Dersi`s killing is being held.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days