Four killed in Indonesia tunnel collapse
Jakarta: Four workers were killed while many others were still missing after a mine tunnel of a subsidiary of US mining giant Freeport-McMoRan in Indonesia collapsed, local media said Wednesday.
The incident was reported from eastern Indonesia`s Papua Province early Tuesday, according to Xinhua news agency.
"Fourteen workers have been evacuated from the tunnel until Wednesday morning with four men dead," Tito Karnavian, chief of the Papua Regional Police Command, was quoted by Indonesia`s news portal metrotvnews.com as saying.
At least 40 workers were in the tunnel when the accident happened at 7:30 a.m. local time Tuesday and the cause of the accident is still unknown, it said.
Production at Freeport Indonesia`s Grasberg mine where the tunnel collapsed was not expected to be significantly affected, according to local media.
The Grasberg mine, which started its production in the 1970s, holds the world`s biggest gold and second-biggest copper deposit. It employs more than 20,000 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you