Four killed in Indonesia tunnel collapse
Jakarta: Four workers were killed while many others were still missing after a mine tunnel of a subsidiary of US mining giant Freeport-McMoRan in Indonesia collapsed, local media said Wednesday.
The incident was reported from eastern Indonesia`s Papua Province early Tuesday, according to Xinhua news agency.
"Fourteen workers have been evacuated from the tunnel until Wednesday morning with four men dead," Tito Karnavian, chief of the Papua Regional Police Command, was quoted by Indonesia`s news portal metrotvnews.com as saying.
At least 40 workers were in the tunnel when the accident happened at 7:30 a.m. local time Tuesday and the cause of the accident is still unknown, it said.
Production at Freeport Indonesia`s Grasberg mine where the tunnel collapsed was not expected to be significantly affected, according to local media.
The Grasberg mine, which started its production in the 1970s, holds the world`s biggest gold and second-biggest copper deposit. It employs more than 20,000 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Getting out of bad relationship good for your health
- Why photoshop them? Try saffron, apples to get 'real armpits'
- Arvind Kejriwal says Modi declaring emergency in Delhi after AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya's arrest in assault case
- Why was Pulkit Samrat miffed with paparazzi? – Know here
- Heavy rainfall forecast in Karnataka as monsoon advances