Four killed in Indonesia tunnel collapse
Jakarta: Four workers were killed while many others were still missing after a mine tunnel of a subsidiary of US mining giant Freeport-McMoRan in Indonesia collapsed, local media said Wednesday.
The incident was reported from eastern Indonesia`s Papua Province early Tuesday, according to Xinhua news agency.
"Fourteen workers have been evacuated from the tunnel until Wednesday morning with four men dead," Tito Karnavian, chief of the Papua Regional Police Command, was quoted by Indonesia`s news portal metrotvnews.com as saying.
At least 40 workers were in the tunnel when the accident happened at 7:30 a.m. local time Tuesday and the cause of the accident is still unknown, it said.
Production at Freeport Indonesia`s Grasberg mine where the tunnel collapsed was not expected to be significantly affected, according to local media.
The Grasberg mine, which started its production in the 1970s, holds the world`s biggest gold and second-biggest copper deposit. It employs more than 20,000 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- IPL 2016: Kolkata Knight Riders take on Sunrisers Hyderabad in Eliminator - Preview
- Asaduddin Owaisi vs common man: High-voltage verbal spat over Akbaruddin Owaisi's comments against Hindus
- Gaya road rage: Bail plea of Rocky Yadav's father Bindi Yadav rejected
- Check out pics! Talgo train's 1st India trial; it can run at a maximum speed of 200 kmph
- Watch: Karan Patel, Ankita Bhargava’s wedding video will restore your faith in 'Arranged Love'