Four killed in religious rioting in Nigeria
Jos: Authorities say at least four
people were killed in a riot in a central Nigerian city that is beset by religious and ethnic tensions.
Nigeria`s National Emergency Management Agency said the
fighting began today in Jos after Muslims began praying in a
predominantly Christian neighbourhood in the city.
Officials with a local Muslim group said the unidentified
attackers used knives, machetes and bows and arrows.
Witnesses say more than 50 vehicles and 100 motorcycles
were set ablaze during the fighting.
Army and police moved into the affected neighbourhood late today.
Jos sits in the Nigeria`s "middle belt," where dozens of
ethnic groups vie for control of fertile lands and political
and economic power.
Nigeria is largely divided into a Christian south and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter