Four killed in religious rioting in Nigeria
Jos: Authorities say at least four
people were killed in a riot in a central Nigerian city that is beset by religious and ethnic tensions.
Nigeria`s National Emergency Management Agency said the
fighting began today in Jos after Muslims began praying in a
predominantly Christian neighbourhood in the city.
Officials with a local Muslim group said the unidentified
attackers used knives, machetes and bows and arrows.
Witnesses say more than 50 vehicles and 100 motorcycles
were set ablaze during the fighting.
Army and police moved into the affected neighbourhood late today.
Jos sits in the Nigeria`s "middle belt," where dozens of
ethnic groups vie for control of fertile lands and political
and economic power.
Nigeria is largely divided into a Christian south and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened