Four killed in religious rioting in Nigeria
Jos: Authorities say at least four
people were killed in a riot in a central Nigerian city that is beset by religious and ethnic tensions.
Nigeria`s National Emergency Management Agency said the
fighting began today in Jos after Muslims began praying in a
predominantly Christian neighbourhood in the city.
Officials with a local Muslim group said the unidentified
attackers used knives, machetes and bows and arrows.
Witnesses say more than 50 vehicles and 100 motorcycles
were set ablaze during the fighting.
Army and police moved into the affected neighbourhood late today.
Jos sits in the Nigeria`s "middle belt," where dozens of
ethnic groups vie for control of fertile lands and political
and economic power.
Nigeria is largely divided into a Christian south and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state