Four killed in Syria mortar attack
Damascus: Four people were killed and 20 others wounded Sunday in a mortar attack on a Christian-dominated district in the eastern part of Syria`s capital Damascus, Xinhua reported citing state-run SANA news agency.
The mortars struck the pro-government district of Qassa in Damascus as part of the endless series of similar attacks that have killed dozens over the past few months.
The report said the attack was launched from the nearby hotspot of Jobar, which was stuffed with rebels from different factions.
Qassa has been repeatedly targeted with mortars that often landed near the French Hospital.
SANA said Sunday`s attack has also hit the vicinity of the hospital, adding that the "terrorist" attack caused heavy property losses in the area.
The agency also posted on its official website the images of the aftermath of the attack, showing scenes of destruction in shops and buildings.
The incident came as the country was observing the 40th anniversary of the October 1973 War between Arab nations and Israel, which was marked by a speech by President Bashar al-Assad, in which he dismissed the rebels as "terrorists" who can`t be negotiated with unless they abandoned their weapons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore