Four militants killed in Russia`s North Caucasus
Makhachkala: Four suspected
militants were killed in two separate police raids in Russia`s
volatile North Caucasus region, police said on Saturday.
In Dagestan, two men holed up in a house in the village
of Komsomolskoye early today. Police shot one dead when he
tried to escape while the other was killed in a shootout,
Dagestan police spokesman Vyacheslav Gasanov said.
In Ingushetia, police shot and killed two militants in a
car chase, police spokeswoman Madina Khadziyeva said, adding
the men were later identified as being wanted on terrorism
charges. Police found two machine guns and ammunition inside
their men`s car.
Islamic insurgents who want to set up an independent
Shariah state have spread across Russia`s predominantly Muslim
North Caucasus region after two separatist wars in Chechnya.
Dagestan and other North Caucasus provinces suffer daily
violence linked to the insurgency.
Authorities in the area have cracked down on insurgents,
but human rights activists say security forces are fuelling
the violence with their extra-judicial killings, kidnappings
and torture of suspects and their relatives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP triumphs across state; hung verdict in BMC elections
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test