Four people stabbed at US church: Police
Albuquerque (New Mexico): A man jumped over several pews at a New Mexico Catholic church and stabbed several members in the choir area just as Mass was ending, police said.
According to authorities, Lawrence Capener, 24, walked up to the choir area at St. Jude Thaddeus Catholic Church and stabbed church-goers just as the choir began singing its final hymn. The man continued his attack until other raced to subdue the man until police arrived, police said.
Four church-goers were injured in the attacked and their injuries weren`t life-threatening, Albuquerque police spokesman Robert Gibbs said. Among those stabbed were the church choir director Adam Alvarez, flutist Gerald Madrid and two other parishioners before he was tackled by several other churchgoers, Gibbs said.
All four were being treated at hospitals and listed in stable condition, police said yesterday.
Three church members also were evaluated by Albuquerque Fire Department on scene and didn`t go to the hospital, investigators said.
It was not immediately known what sparked the bizarre attack at the church. Investigators don`t yet know whether Capener had ties to the victims or whether he regularly attended the church, Gibbs said.
After attacking several church members, including an off-duty firefighter and others at the church, held Capener and held him down until police arrived.
Madrid told KOB-TV that he tried to stop Capener by placing him in a bear hug but was stabbed in the neck and back.
Police described the stabbing scene as chaotic as parishioners screamed as the attack unfolded.
The choir`s pianist, Brenda Baca King, told KRQE-TV that the attacker was looking at the lead soloist. "I just remember seeing him hurdle over the pews, hurdle over people and run (toward) us and I thought, `Oh my God, this is not good,`" Baca King said.
Capener was interviewed by police and was expected to face felony charges, Gibbs said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch