Four police dead in communist attack in Philippines
Legaspi: Four policemen were killed when their vehicle hit a mine planted by communist rebels south of the Philippines capital, in an ambush that also left one insurgent dead, police said on Tuesday.
Four other police officers were wounded in the attack by guerrillas from the communist New People`s Army (NPA) in Bulan town yesterday, police said.
Soldiers who rushed to the scene of the blast engaged rebels in a gun battle that left one of the guerrillas dead, the report added.
Police provincial director Senior Superintendent Hereberto Olitolquit said the attack may have been intended to avenge the killing of 10 NPA fighters by government troops in the same region in September.
The NPA is the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines, which has been waging a Maoist rebellion since 1969.
The military estimates there are currently about 3,000 communist fighters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016: BSEB 10th Result 2016, Bihar Class 10th Result 2016 to be declared today on May 29; check biharboard.bih.nic.in
- PM Narendra Modi plays traditional Khasi drum in Meghalaya
- Lightning strikes German football pitch, 35 hurt, 3 seriously
- People's faith in our work renewed our vigour: PM Modi at India Gate
- IPL 2016: Virat Kohli praises rival captain David Warner, predicts tough final against Sunrisers Hyderabad