Four shooting incidents take place in 90 mins after Obama’s Chicago visit
Washington: Four separate shootings took place in the span of 90 minutes on Friday evening in Chicago.
The first shooting occurred less than an hour after Air Force One departed O`Hare Airport after President Obama Barack spoke on the culture of gun violence and economic decay that plagues many cities, including his hometown.
Four people were wounded on the streets of Chicago`s South and West sides between 5:55 pm and 7:20 pm on Friday, the Chicago Tribune reported.
According to Politico, Obama was airborne shortly after 5 pm.
An hour earlier, Obama wrapped up a personal speech at Hyde Park Academy on the South Side, where he mourned the killing of Hadiya Pendleton, the teen who visited Washington for his inauguration just a week before she was gunned down not far from the school.
He said that this is not just a gun issue. It’s also an issue of the kinds of communities that we’re building, and for that we all share a responsibility as citizens to fix it.
Obama had said little about Chicago’s murder problem, there were more than 500 in 2012, before Friday, instead focusing on mass shootings in his post-Newtown gun control push, the report said.
He added that last year, there were 443 murders with a firearm in this city, and 65 of them were 18 and under. That’s the equivalent of a Newtown every four months.
The President said that that’s precisely why the overwhelming majority of Americans are asking for some common sense proposals to make it harder for criminals to get their hands on a gun, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Ex-Haryana speaker SS Kadian jailed for 7 years in graft case
- RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan welcomes appointment of Urjit Patel as his successor
- French court suspends burkini ban after challenge
- Flipkart rejigs top order to 'simplify' organisation
- PM Modi announces task force to prepare action plan for next three Olympic Games