Four suicide bombers detained in Chechnya: Official
Moscow: Authorities in Chechnya said on Friday they had averted several major attacks as they announced the detention of four youths trained as suicide bombers in the increasingly volatile region.
A spokesman for Chechnya`s strongman leader Ramzan Kadyrov said police on Thursday detained four men around 18-20 years old, who had planned to carry out suicide attacks at police headquarters and a mosque in the region`s main city Grozny as well as a mosque in the town of Shali.
"We are talking about people who had been preparing large-scale, high-profile terror acts," the spokesman, Alvi Karimov, said, adding the Chechen leader has personally overseen the operation.
The detained men told authorities they had been trained as suicide bombers by two Arabs, he said.
"They said they had been told they would go to paradise," Karimov said.
Police confiscated several explosive belts and three Kalashnikov assault rifles among other ammunition, he added.
Dressed in fatigues, Kadyrov was shown on Russian television Friday scolding the detained youths as he held a suicide bomber`s belt in his hands.
In neighbouring Ingushetia, the local leader Yunus-Bek Yevkurov warned earlier this week that several suicide bombers were on the loose and appealed for extra vigilance.
In the past several months, suicide bombing has returned to haunt Russia`s increasingly bloody northern Caucasus region as the weapon of choice for an Islamist-led rebellion.
In a meeting with top Muslim clerics last month, President Dmitry Medvedev said there was a need for a comprehensive youth programme as criminal groups still managed "to pull young people under their wing."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark