Four suspects arrested in murder of Maldivian MP
Male: Four people, including a woman, have been arrested in connection with the brutal murder of a ruling party lawmaker in Maldives, police said on Wednesday.
Three men and a woman have been taken into custody over the murder of Afrasheem Ali, MP from the Progressive Party of Maldives.
Ali, 46, was stabbed on the back of his head, chest and neck yesterday and his body was discovered by his wife on the stairs of their apartment building.
Speaking at a press conference Assistant Police Commissioner Hassan Habeeb said that the investigation into the murder has made "real progress".
However, he did not give further details, saying that disclosing information on the suspects arrested could undermine the ongoing investigation, Haveeru online reported.
When asked if the woman arrested is an opposition activist from Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) of former president Mohammad Nasheed as reported on various social networking sites, Habeeb did not give any satisfactory answer.
Indian High Commissioner to Maldives DM Mulay conveyed condolences to leaders of the Progressive Party of Maldives.
He said India stands firm with the Maldives during this hour of grief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details