Four suspects arrested in murder of Maldivian MP
Male: Four people, including a woman, have been arrested in connection with the brutal murder of a ruling party lawmaker in Maldives, police said on Wednesday.
Three men and a woman have been taken into custody over the murder of Afrasheem Ali, MP from the Progressive Party of Maldives.
Ali, 46, was stabbed on the back of his head, chest and neck yesterday and his body was discovered by his wife on the stairs of their apartment building.
Speaking at a press conference Assistant Police Commissioner Hassan Habeeb said that the investigation into the murder has made "real progress".
However, he did not give further details, saying that disclosing information on the suspects arrested could undermine the ongoing investigation, Haveeru online reported.
When asked if the woman arrested is an opposition activist from Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) of former president Mohammad Nasheed as reported on various social networking sites, Habeeb did not give any satisfactory answer.
Indian High Commissioner to Maldives DM Mulay conveyed condolences to leaders of the Progressive Party of Maldives.
He said India stands firm with the Maldives during this hour of grief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory