Four suspects arrested in murder of Maldivian MP
Male: Four people, including a woman, have been arrested in connection with the brutal murder of a ruling party lawmaker in Maldives, police said on Wednesday.
Three men and a woman have been taken into custody over the murder of Afrasheem Ali, MP from the Progressive Party of Maldives.
Ali, 46, was stabbed on the back of his head, chest and neck yesterday and his body was discovered by his wife on the stairs of their apartment building.
Speaking at a press conference Assistant Police Commissioner Hassan Habeeb said that the investigation into the murder has made "real progress".
However, he did not give further details, saying that disclosing information on the suspects arrested could undermine the ongoing investigation, Haveeru online reported.
When asked if the woman arrested is an opposition activist from Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) of former president Mohammad Nasheed as reported on various social networking sites, Habeeb did not give any satisfactory answer.
Indian High Commissioner to Maldives DM Mulay conveyed condolences to leaders of the Progressive Party of Maldives.
He said India stands firm with the Maldives during this hour of grief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Security in Kashmir reviewed following Pampore attack; Amarnath Yatra to begin soon
- Southwest monsoon progresses in Gujarat
- Subramanian Swamy's lecture on 'Emergency' cancelled
- Now, Lexit: London wants to stay with EU, says petition
- UP cops fight publicly over 'share of bribe', video goes viral - Watch