Four US teens arrested at military base in Japan
Tokyo: Japanese police have arrested four teenagers living on a US military base for allegedly putting a rope across a road that caused a woman to crash her motorbike and suffer a head injury, officials and news reports said on Saturday.
The four were handed over to Tokyo police by officials at Yokota Air Base, on Tokyo`s outskirts, said Mitsuru Takahashi, a spokeswoman for the base.
Tokyo police refused to comment.
Military officials would not provide the names of the teenagers or further details because they are minors and because an investigation is under way. Takahashi said base officials were cooperating with Japanese authorities.
According to Japanese media reports, a woman was riding her motorbike on Aug. 13 when she hit the rope and fell, fracturing her skull. She reportedly saw the teenagers nearby. The four were also allegedly caught on a surveillance videotape.
Base-related crime has long been an issue in Japan, where about 47,000 US troops are stationed under a mutual security pact. The latest incident near Yokota received coverage on the national news in Japan. It reportedly occurred about one kilometre (less than a mile) from the sprawling air base.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof