Fourteen killed in Mexico murder capital
Ciudad Juarez: Fourteen people were killed in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico`s drug-infested murder capital on the US border, including swim-suited revellers attending a pool party, authorities said.
Ciudad Juarez is Mexico`s most violent city, where narcotics cartels fight daily over drug-smuggling routes into the United States.
Gunmen opened fire on the pool party in central Ciudad Juarez, "killing three women and a man and wounding five other women, all of whom were wearing swimsuits”, the chief prosecutor`s office said in a statement.
Two suspects were arrested later, it said.
In another pre-dawn attack at a private house, gunmen riddled party-goers with bullets. Three victims died at the scene, and another three in hospital, the statement said.
The bodies of four other men, "showing signs of torture with several shots through their heads”, were found in other parts of the city across the border from El Paso, Texas.
One of the murder victims was Jimenez town official Jose Luis Amaya, the office added.
Ciudad Juarez has seen 1,853 murders so far this year, nearly half up on than the first eight months of last year (1,285), according to a tally based on official reports.
For all of 2009, Ciudad Juarez`s murder rate reached 2,660, the highest in the country.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative