Fox News ran secret ‘black operations’ department?
London: Rupert Murdoch’s Fox News had a secret ‘black operations’ department that may have illegally hacked phone records, a former senior executive has revealed.
Dan Cooper, who was the managing editor when Fox News was launched in 1996, said that a ‘brain room’ carried out ‘counter intelligence’ on the channel’s enemies from its New York headquarters.
Another former senior executive said the channel ran a spying network on staff, reading their e-mails and making them ‘feel they were being watched’, The Telegraph reports.
The news channel is also under fire for allegedly running a campaign to hack phone records of September 11, 2001 attack victims.
“Most people thought it was simply the research department of Fox News. I knew it also housed a counter intelligence and black ops office. So accessing phone records was easy pie,” Cooper was quoted, as saying by the paper.
“It was staffed by 15 researchers and had a guard at the door. No one working there would engage in conversation,” he added.
Another former Fox News senior executive said staff was forced to operate under conditions reminiscent of ‘Russia at the height of the Soviet era’
Fox News has denied all the allegations terming them as ‘baseless’.
“Each of these allegations is completely false. Dan Cooper was terminated six weeks after the launch of the Fox News Channel in 1996 and has peddled these lies for the past 15 years,” a Fox News spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened