Foxconn plant closed as death toll rose to 3 in China
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Monday, May 23, 2011, 00:59
  
Beijing: Foxconn, the world's largest electronics contractor, has suspended operations in its plant in southwest China's Sichuan province on Sunday as the death toll in the recent explosion rose to three.

One worker, who had been seriously injured, died after treatment failed, 'Xinhua' quoted a spokesman with the Hongfujin company as saying.

Two people were earlier found dead and 16 others injured.

The operations in the polishing workshop, as well as other plant sections with similar manufacturing processes, have been suspended for further investigation and workplace safety checks, he said.

The blast occurred Friday evening at a workshop in Hongfujin Precision Electronics (Chengdu) Co Ltd, a subsidiary of Taiwan-based Foxconn Technology Group, located in the provincial capital of Chengdu, he said.

As of today, six of the 16 injured workers have been discharged from a hospital.

An initial investigation indicates that the explosion could be caused by combustible dust in the polishing workshop. Investigators ruled out the possibility of deliberate sabotage, officials said.

Foxconn, the world's largest electronics contractor, opened the USD 2 billion Chengdu plant in October last year to manufacture laptop computers, iPads, and other devices.

PTI


First Published: Monday, May 23, 2011, 00:59


comments powered by Disqus