France, 3 Arab countries to `strengthen` support for Syria rebels: Paris
Paris: France, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Jordan have agreed to strengthen the Syrian opposition in its battle against Bashar al-Assad`s regime, the French presidency said on Friday.
After a meeting in Paris, French President Francois Hollande and foreign ministers from the three countries "agreed on the need to strengthen international support for the democratic opposition to allow it to face attacks by the regime," the Elysee said in a statement.
The statement said they agreed on the "need to remain firm with Bashar al-Assad`s regime, to dissuade him from again using chemical weapons and to have him commit to negotiations on finding a political solution to the Syrian crisis."
It said the regime`s "obstinance" was helping "extremist movements" and "threatens regional and international security".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report