France: 4 detained suspected of extremist links
Paris: France`s interior minister says police have detained four people in a counter-terrorist operation targeting those suspected of trying to join Islamist extremists abroad.
Manuel Valls said on France`s BFM television today that an operation is under way in the Paris region, linked to the arrest of a French citizen in recent months on the Mali-Niger border. No details were immediately available.
Valls said French authorities are worried about French extremists joining rebels in Syria or the desert region around northern Mali, where Islamist radicals seized power last year and imposed harsh rule on local populations.
France, which fears northern Mali could become haven for international terrorists, launched a military intervention there last month after the extremists starting advancing toward the capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video