France affirms nuclear arms despite military cuts
Olivet (France): France`s president says the country will maintain its costly nuclear arsenal despite looming military budget cuts, saying the weapons are essential for national defense.
President Francois Hollande said today that global security threats have made nuclear weapons essential for France, which is the only country in continental Europe to have them.
The statement came in Hollande`s annual New Year`s greeting to soldiers. The president says "it`s a deterrent force that allows us protection against all threats and allows us to play a strong role on the world stage."
France`s military is facing a tighter budget in coming years, and has already pulled its soldiers from the costly and unpopular war in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Toni Kroos rocket rescues Real Madrid in Cristiano Ronaldo's absence; Atletico Madrid held again
- Suspected Kurdish militants fire rockets at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport: Media
- Gun battle kills five militants, wounds 10 in Afghanistan
- Government to set up Rs 1.5k crore payment security fund for solar projects
- Rising dengue cases: PIL accuses govt of not being vigilant