France affirms nuclear arms despite military cuts
Olivet (France): France`s president says the country will maintain its costly nuclear arsenal despite looming military budget cuts, saying the weapons are essential for national defense.
President Francois Hollande said today that global security threats have made nuclear weapons essential for France, which is the only country in continental Europe to have them.
The statement came in Hollande`s annual New Year`s greeting to soldiers. The president says "it`s a deterrent force that allows us protection against all threats and allows us to play a strong role on the world stage."
France`s military is facing a tighter budget in coming years, and has already pulled its soldiers from the costly and unpopular war in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...