France affirms nuclear arms despite military cuts
Olivet (France): France`s president says the country will maintain its costly nuclear arsenal despite looming military budget cuts, saying the weapons are essential for national defense.
President Francois Hollande said today that global security threats have made nuclear weapons essential for France, which is the only country in continental Europe to have them.
The statement came in Hollande`s annual New Year`s greeting to soldiers. The president says "it`s a deterrent force that allows us protection against all threats and allows us to play a strong role on the world stage."
France`s military is facing a tighter budget in coming years, and has already pulled its soldiers from the costly and unpopular war in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'