France arrests 2 for suspected militant links
Paris: French police have arrested two people on suspicion of links to terrorist groups, Interior Minister Brice Hortefeux said on Thursday.
"These are serious counts. They are being questioned at this moment," Hortefeux told France 2 television, adding: "They were arrested for (suspicion of) links to a criminal enterprise with a view to preparing a terrorist act."
He said 85 arrests of a similar kind had been made since the start of the year and that 27 of those were still behind bars.
Governments, airlines and aviation authorities around the world have been reviewing security since US-bound parcel bombs sent by air from Yemen were intercepted in Dubai and Britain at the end of last week.
France is on high alert after seven people, including five French citizens, were kidnapped by the North African wing of al Qaeda in September.
Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden said in a message aired on Al Jazeera TV on October 27 that the kidnapping of the five French nationals in Niger had been prompted by France`s unjust treatment of Muslims.
French police arrested 12 people in early October in swoops that Hortefeux said at the time were directly linked to a campaign to counter an elevated terrorism threat in Europe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list