France calls for 2-week delay in US-EU trade talks
Paris: The French government wants major trade negotiations between the United States and the European Union suspended for two weeks amid anger over alleged US eavesdropping on European allies.
Government spokeswoman Najat Vallaud-Belkacem told reporters today "it seems wise to us to suspend them temporarily, for a period of 15 days." She says France will first "discuss with our European partners to take a joint decision."
She said mutual trust is needed before launching talks on such a huge trade deal, expected to provide a boost to economies on both sides of the Atlantic.
The first technical negotiations are scheduled to start Monday in Washington. Some European countries have expressed anger at reports that the US National Security Agency bugged the EU`s diplomatic offices in Washington and infiltrated its computer network.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29