France calls for 2-week delay in US-EU trade talks
Paris: The French government wants major trade negotiations between the United States and the European Union suspended for two weeks amid anger over alleged US eavesdropping on European allies.
Government spokeswoman Najat Vallaud-Belkacem told reporters today "it seems wise to us to suspend them temporarily, for a period of 15 days." She says France will first "discuss with our European partners to take a joint decision."
She said mutual trust is needed before launching talks on such a huge trade deal, expected to provide a boost to economies on both sides of the Atlantic.
The first technical negotiations are scheduled to start Monday in Washington. Some European countries have expressed anger at reports that the US National Security Agency bugged the EU`s diplomatic offices in Washington and infiltrated its computer network.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you