France confirms body found in Mali is hostage
Paris: The office of President Francois Hollande has formally confirmed the death of a French hostage in Mali, one of six French citizens captured by al Qaeda`s North African arm.
A statement from the president`s office on Monday evening said an autopsy would be performed to learn the cause of death of Philippe Verdon once the body is transferred to France.
The media arm of al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, or AQIM, had said on Twitter in April that Verdon was dead after an unofficial announcement in march. Verdon had been captured in eastern Mali in November 2011 along with another French citizen.
AQIM, al Qaeda`s North African offshoot, is still believed to be holding five French hostages.
AQIM was one of three Islamic extremist groups who controlled northern Mali until a January French-led military intervention cut their stranglehold, killing extremists and scattering others to neighbouring countries.
Verdon was known to be in ill health and there has been speculation that his death was related to pre-existing conditions. However, AQIM took credit for his death, saying in April that the fate of the remaining captives "is in the hands of French President Francois Hollande and the door is still open to find a just solution."
The presidential statement reiterated that "those responsible for the death of our countryman must be identified and judged."
France`s Foreign Ministry had said that a body was found in northern Mali and that there was a "strong probability" it was Verdon. Tests to verify identity were carried out in Mali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar