France convicts 3 for wanting to fight in Syria
Paris: Three young men were convicted and handed prison sentences today for trying to travel to Syria, a magnet for foreign fighters, even though they never left France.
The convictions by a Paris court were thought to be the first in France of potential jihadi fighters for Syria. The prison sentences show that justice intends to be tough on the scores of young French Muslims drawn to the Syrian civil war, even if they never make it to their destination.
The court handed down prison terms ranging from two to five years for criminal association with the intent to commit terrorist acts, a sweeping charge used in France to cast a wide net in terror cases.
French authorities, like their counterparts elsewhere in Europe, are deeply concerned about the attraction the three-year war exerts on western Muslims. They fear a potential threat from returning fighters, fully radicalised and with battle-honed skills.
Even young French adolescents have made their way to Syria, or tried to go. A 14-year-old girl was stopped last week before boarding her flight to Turkey, the common route to Syria, according to the prosecutor`s office in Grenoble, her hometown.
French authorities have said that more than 600 French had left for Syria, were plotting to go or have returned. More than 20 French have been killed in the fighting.
"This is a message being sent to all people tempted by similar adventures," attorney Julien Fresnault said of the verdict. The court was "anticipating a danger, but there are no (terrorist) acts" in the case. His client, Youssef Ettaoujar, 26, received a five-year prison term with one year suspended, the toughest sentence of the three.
The three men, aged between 21 and 26, were arrested in 2012 as they tried to board a plane for Turkey. They contended during their February trial that their objective was humanitarian, not fighting battles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- India needs $1.5 trillion for infrastructure development: Arun Jaitley
- IIFA 2016: Why should girls have all the fun? Ranveer-Fawad-Karan shoot up dapper quotient
- Salman Khan flaunting his biceps in new 'Sultan' still will leave you flabbergasted! - View pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani': Priyanka Chopra congratulates Sanjay Leela Bhansali for 'Best Director' award at IIFA 2016!
- WATCH: HILARIOUS! Chris Gayle goes berserk as Portugal pip Croatia in Euro 2016