France faces rough ride in UN anti-racism panel
Geneva: France faced a rough ride in the UN`s anti-racism panel on Thursday after members sharply criticised a resurgence in racism and xenophobia in the country.
The UN`s Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination entered the second and final day of its regular review of France`s application of international standards, with French officials due to respond to questions from the body.
Yesterday, several of the 18 experts on the UN panel made unusually sharp comments about the state of racial discrimination in one of Europe`s biggest nations.
Despite legal safeguards, the country is experiencing a "significant resurgence of racism and xenophobia", Kokou Ewomsan, a Togolese human rights official, told the French delegation.
The treatment of Gipsy communities, the debate on national identity and immigration, minority rights and a hardening political discourse were questioned, in the midst of heightened political debate in France over those issues.
US lawyer and former State Department official Pierre-Richard Prosper, vice chairman of the committee, pointed to a lack of "real political will".
French President Nicolas Sarkozy last month announced draconian security measures on traveller communities following a spate of urban violence.
He has also threatened to strip foreign-born nationals of French citizenship if they committed some crimes.
One UN committee member said some of the measures on Gipsies were reminiscent of the period of France`s Vichy government, which collaborated with the German Nazi occupiers in World War II.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- India must take Dawood's presence strictly with Pakistan: Samajwadi Party
- At least 10 killed, 32 injured in road accident in China's Guangxi Zhuang region
- Do you know low socioeconomic status can be a factor for heart attack? - Read
- PM Modi bats for eco-friendly Ganesh Utsav, Durga Puja
- Maruti Suzuki continues to rule PV segment with 7 models in top 10 list