France ‘funding Syrian opposition’ to oust Assad regime: Report
London: France is funding Syria’s armed opposition groups around Aleppo as part of a new push to oust the embattled regime of President Bashar-al Assad, a report has said.
Diplomatic sources have confirmed that large sums of cash have been delivered by French government proxies across the Turkish border to rebel commanders in the past month.
The money has been used to buy weapons inside Syria and to fund armed operations against loyalist forces, the Guardian reports.
According to western and Turkish officials as well as rebel leaders, the influx of money has made a difference in recent weeks as momentum on the battlefields of the north steadily shifts towards the opposition.
The paper said that some of the French cash has reached Islamist groups who were desperately short of ammunition and who had increasingly turned for help towards Al-Qaeda aligned jihadist groups in and around Aleppo.
The French newspaper le Figaro recently reported that French military advisers had met with rebel groups inside Syria, in further evidence of efforts by Paris to step up pressure on President Assad, the paper said.
According to the paper, France has suggested that rebels should be given ‘defensive weapons’ to use against the regime and was the first country to recognise a recalibrated political body as the legitimate voice of the Syrian people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar