France gave Syrian opposition anti-sarin gas kits: FM
Doha: France has provided the Syrian opposition with treatment kits against the effects of the deadly sarin nerve gas, French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius told reporters in Doha on Saturday.
France has sent "treatments that can protect a thousand people," Fabius said following a "Friends of Syria" meeting in Qatar.
"This says a lot about the damage (Syrian President) Bashar al-Assad has caused to his people," said Fabius.
Sarin, a deadly nerve gas which the United States has said the Syrian regime has used against rebel forces, was developed by Nazi scientists in 1938.
Originally conceived as a pesticide, sarin was used by Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein`s regime to gas thousands of Kurds in the northern town of Halabja in 1988.
Earlier this month Fabius said that experts had analysed samples brought back from Syria and concluded that the deadly nerve agent had been used several times. Britain has echoed his remarks.
Saturday`s meeting of the "Friends of Syria" group agreed to offer military aid to rebels in the war-hit country, as loyalists make apparent gains on the battlefield.
Ministers from Britain, Egypt, France, Germany, Italy, Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and the United States attended the talks.
The United States, Britain and France have accused the Assad regime of using banned arms, including the sarin gas, in attacks that have killed scores of people.
Damascus has repeatedly denied such accusations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks