France gave Syrian opposition anti-sarin gas kits: FM
Doha: France has provided the Syrian opposition with treatment kits against the effects of the deadly sarin nerve gas, French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius told reporters in Doha on Saturday.
France has sent "treatments that can protect a thousand people," Fabius said following a "Friends of Syria" meeting in Qatar.
"This says a lot about the damage (Syrian President) Bashar al-Assad has caused to his people," said Fabius.
Sarin, a deadly nerve gas which the United States has said the Syrian regime has used against rebel forces, was developed by Nazi scientists in 1938.
Originally conceived as a pesticide, sarin was used by Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein`s regime to gas thousands of Kurds in the northern town of Halabja in 1988.
Earlier this month Fabius said that experts had analysed samples brought back from Syria and concluded that the deadly nerve agent had been used several times. Britain has echoed his remarks.
Saturday`s meeting of the "Friends of Syria" group agreed to offer military aid to rebels in the war-hit country, as loyalists make apparent gains on the battlefield.
Ministers from Britain, Egypt, France, Germany, Italy, Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and the United States attended the talks.
The United States, Britain and France have accused the Assad regime of using banned arms, including the sarin gas, in attacks that have killed scores of people.
Damascus has repeatedly denied such accusations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble