France giving aid to rebel-held Syrian cities
Paris: France has started providing direct aid and money to five rebel-held Syrian cities as it intensifies efforts to weaken President Bashar Assad, in the first such move by a western power, a diplomatic source said.
The French aid comes as UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon criticised the Security Council on Wednesday for failing to take action to protect Syrians facing violence that has led to thousands of deaths.
Amid mounting calls for the international community to do more to prevent bloodshed, France Syria`s onetime colonial ruler has pushed to secure "liberated zones" in Syria.
France has increased its contacts with armed opposition groups, and started giving aid last Friday to local citizens` councils in five cities outside the government`s control, the diplomatic source said.
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius promised last week that such aid was in the pipeline.
The aid is notably helping restore water supplies, bakeries and schools affected by Syria`s civil war, with the aim of helping rebel-held areas run themselves, the diplomatic official said.
He spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the French actions amid Syria`s violence.
France`s allies are interested in providing similar aid, the official said. He would not name the cities or explain how the aid is being provided, citing security reasons.
He said the cities house a total of 700,000 residents and have been outside control of President Bashar Assad`s regime for between one and five months.
French officials have acknowledged providing communications and other non-lethal equipment to Syrian rebel forces, but say they won`t provide weapons without international agreement.
France played a leading role in the international campaign against Libya`s dictator Muammar Gaddafi last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM