France hosts international meet for Gaza truce
Paris: France Saturday held an international meeting on ways to end the bloodshed and secure a long-term cease fire in the Gaza Strip where an Israeli military offensive has killed hundreds of Palestinians.
With the Israeli air and ground offensive against Gaza entering its 19th day and killing at least 878 Palestinians, top diplomats of France, the US, Britain, Germany, Qatar, Turkey, Italy and a representative of the European Union gathered in Paris "to try reaching a lasting truce in Gaza", Xinhua reported.
At the meeting, participants would further back Egypt`s initiative that called for a seven-day humanitarian truce during the celebration of Eid ul-Fitr that marks the end of the holy month of Ramadan.
"For France, which fulfils its role as a bridge between the belligerents, ending this bloody conflict is an absolute emergency," a statement issued by the presidency office said.
On Saturday morning, a 12-hour humanitarian truce went into effect after Israel and Palestinian militant groups in the Gaza Strip agreed to a UN request for a pause in fighting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor