France: Lawmakers pass bill to pay for abortions
Paris: France`s lower house voted to fully reimburse all abortions and to make contraception free for minors.
National medical insurance currently pays in full for abortions for minors and the poor, while other women are reimbursed for up to 80 per cent of the procedure`s cost, which can be as much as USD 580. Contraception is partially reimbursed.
The bill passed by the National Assembly yesterday would make all abortions free and would also pay for contraception for those between 15 and 18. It now goes to the Senate, where it is likely to pass.
"Women who want to stop an unwanted pregnancy have the right to be covered: The enactment of the right to choose to halt a pregnancy is an obligatory state service," the bill`s language says.
Some groups complain that price is only one impediment to abortion access. They say too few doctors offer the procedure and there needs to be more information about who does. Under the bill, reimbursements would not go beyond USD 580 and some medical service providers in France charge more than that for an abortion.
While some segments of French society oppose the right to abortion, the issue rarely makes headlines.
France is among the European countries that allow minors to have abortions without parental consent and in 1988, was the first country to introduce RU-486 the "morning after pill" which terminates pregnancy by causing the embryo to detach from the uterine wall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VHP president Praveen Togadia visits Bajrang Dal's 'self-defence' camp in Noida, defends arms training of activists
- WATCH: INCREDIBLE! Not just AB de Villiers but wife Danielle too is multitalented
- Check rajresults.nic.in, rajeduboard.nic.in for Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12 (Arts) Examination Results 2016 to be declared after 3 pm on May 28
- Mass rape video shocks Brazil as teen girl drugged, gang-raped by over 30 men in Rio
- Japan shares G-7 push for inclusive growth with Asia, Africa