France: Lawmakers pass bill to pay for abortions
Paris: France`s lower house voted to fully reimburse all abortions and to make contraception free for minors.
National medical insurance currently pays in full for abortions for minors and the poor, while other women are reimbursed for up to 80 per cent of the procedure`s cost, which can be as much as USD 580. Contraception is partially reimbursed.
The bill passed by the National Assembly yesterday would make all abortions free and would also pay for contraception for those between 15 and 18. It now goes to the Senate, where it is likely to pass.
"Women who want to stop an unwanted pregnancy have the right to be covered: The enactment of the right to choose to halt a pregnancy is an obligatory state service," the bill`s language says.
Some groups complain that price is only one impediment to abortion access. They say too few doctors offer the procedure and there needs to be more information about who does. Under the bill, reimbursements would not go beyond USD 580 and some medical service providers in France charge more than that for an abortion.
While some segments of French society oppose the right to abortion, the issue rarely makes headlines.
France is among the European countries that allow minors to have abortions without parental consent and in 1988, was the first country to introduce RU-486 the "morning after pill" which terminates pregnancy by causing the embryo to detach from the uterine wall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray