France: Lawmakers pass bill to pay for abortions
Paris: France`s lower house voted to fully reimburse all abortions and to make contraception free for minors.
National medical insurance currently pays in full for abortions for minors and the poor, while other women are reimbursed for up to 80 per cent of the procedure`s cost, which can be as much as USD 580. Contraception is partially reimbursed.
The bill passed by the National Assembly yesterday would make all abortions free and would also pay for contraception for those between 15 and 18. It now goes to the Senate, where it is likely to pass.
"Women who want to stop an unwanted pregnancy have the right to be covered: The enactment of the right to choose to halt a pregnancy is an obligatory state service," the bill`s language says.
Some groups complain that price is only one impediment to abortion access. They say too few doctors offer the procedure and there needs to be more information about who does. Under the bill, reimbursements would not go beyond USD 580 and some medical service providers in France charge more than that for an abortion.
While some segments of French society oppose the right to abortion, the issue rarely makes headlines.
France is among the European countries that allow minors to have abortions without parental consent and in 1988, was the first country to introduce RU-486 the "morning after pill" which terminates pregnancy by causing the embryo to detach from the uterine wall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands