France probes into source of Sarkozy affairs rumours
London: France has initiated a criminal investigation to find out the source of Internet rumours that President Nicolas Sarkozy and his wife Carla Bruni were having extra-marital affairs.
The probe has been ordered as the President`s advisers suggested that the rumours might have been started only in an attempt to destabilise Sarkozy`s position at a time when he is seeking to regulate global capitalism, `The Times` reported.
"Now we are going to see whether there is a sort of organised plot with financial movements. There had to be a judicial procedure, so that fear would switch to the other side," President Sarkozy`s communication adviser Pierre Charon was quoted as saying.
Claims that Sarkozy was having an affair with Chantal Jouanno, France`s Ecology Minister, and the First Lady with Benjamin Biolay, a singer, circulated on Twitter in February.
Both Sarkozy and his wife have denied the rumours, which the President dismissed as "idiotic".
They were repeated by at least two French journalists on their Twitter accounts -- although both say that they have no evidence to substantiate the allegations -- and in a blog on the website of the `Journal du Dimanche`, a newspaper whose political coverage is regarded as largely non-partisan.
When Sarkozy complained, the blogger was sacked and Michael Amand, the director of the site, was forced to resign. Under pressure from Sarkozy`s lawyers, Hachette Filipacchi Associ’s, which owns the `Journal du Dimanche`, has lodged a formal legal complaint for "fraudulent introduction of data into a computer system".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked