France quizzes Israel over passport in Hamas killing
Paris: France summoned a top Israeli diplomat on Thursday to demand an explanation over reports that a false French passport was used by the suspected killers of a Hamas leader.
Israeli charge d`affaires Sammy Ravel was asked at the French Foreign Ministry "for explanations on the use of a fake French passport" in the murder, ministry spokesman Bernard Valero told reporters.
Diplomatic tensions have mounted over the killing last month of Mahmud al-Mabhuh, a leader of the Hamas group that rules the Gaza Strip, after the Dubai police said that 11 European passport holders were allegedly involved.
The Foreign Ministry "expressed France`s deep concern about the malicious and fraudulent use" of a French passport, Valero said.
Ravel met with the French government`s Middle East affairs chief Patrice Paoli, he said.
The Israeli embassy in Paris declined to comment.
Britain and Ireland have also summoned Israeli envoys over the suspects` alleged use of fake passports.
Dubai police chief Lieutenant General Dahi Khalfan Tamim said he was 99 percent sure the Israeli intelligence agency Mossad was behind the murder, an Abu-Dhabi based newspaper reported on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family