France quizzes Israel over passport in Hamas killing
Paris: France summoned a top Israeli diplomat on Thursday to demand an explanation over reports that a false French passport was used by the suspected killers of a Hamas leader.
Israeli charge d`affaires Sammy Ravel was asked at the French Foreign Ministry "for explanations on the use of a fake French passport" in the murder, ministry spokesman Bernard Valero told reporters.
Diplomatic tensions have mounted over the killing last month of Mahmud al-Mabhuh, a leader of the Hamas group that rules the Gaza Strip, after the Dubai police said that 11 European passport holders were allegedly involved.
The Foreign Ministry "expressed France`s deep concern about the malicious and fraudulent use" of a French passport, Valero said.
Ravel met with the French government`s Middle East affairs chief Patrice Paoli, he said.
The Israeli embassy in Paris declined to comment.
Britain and Ireland have also summoned Israeli envoys over the suspects` alleged use of fake passports.
Dubai police chief Lieutenant General Dahi Khalfan Tamim said he was 99 percent sure the Israeli intelligence agency Mossad was behind the murder, an Abu-Dhabi based newspaper reported on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Bizarre! Saudi man sexually assaults maid, wife faces jail