France raises terror alert over al Qaeda threat
London: France on Sunday raised its terror alert amid fears of suicide bomb plots against the Paris transport network, a media report said.
The Daily Telegraph said the French intelligence services are looking for a female would-be suicide bomber who they believe could be planning to target the Paris Metro.
The alert followed a tip-off from an intelligence agency, thought to be Algeria`s, warning of an imminent al Qaeda threat, the newspaper said.
In a separate development, armed guards were deployed to protect prominent Islamic moderate Dalil Boubakeur, rector of the Paris mosque, it said.
"The terrorist threat is real and today our vigilance, therefore, is reinforced," the Telegraph quoted Interior Minister Brice Hortefeux, as saying.
Security services identified two Islamist sleeper cells with financial means that were recently "woken up" in France after the arrival of several Islamic radicals from Afghanistan and Pakistan, the report said quoting police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you