France raises terror alert over al Qaeda threat
London: France on Sunday raised its terror alert amid fears of suicide bomb plots against the Paris transport network, a media report said.
The Daily Telegraph said the French intelligence services are looking for a female would-be suicide bomber who they believe could be planning to target the Paris Metro.
The alert followed a tip-off from an intelligence agency, thought to be Algeria`s, warning of an imminent al Qaeda threat, the newspaper said.
In a separate development, armed guards were deployed to protect prominent Islamic moderate Dalil Boubakeur, rector of the Paris mosque, it said.
"The terrorist threat is real and today our vigilance, therefore, is reinforced," the Telegraph quoted Interior Minister Brice Hortefeux, as saying.
Security services identified two Islamist sleeper cells with financial means that were recently "woken up" in France after the arrival of several Islamic radicals from Afghanistan and Pakistan, the report said quoting police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!