France ready to recognise Syrian opposition as govt
Paris: French President Francois Hollande has called on the Syrian opposition to establish a provisional government and says that France is ready to recognise it.
"France calls on the Syrian opposition to establish a provisional government that may become a legitimate representative of new Syria. France will recognise the government of a new Syria once it is established," said Hollande at an annual conference of France`s ambassadors.
France "is helping those who are establishing liberated zones in Syria. We are working on an initiative proposed by Turkey on creating buffer zones", he said.
Hollande believes that President Bashar al-Assad`s regime may resort to chemical weapons.
"We remain vigilant to prevent the use by the (Syrian) regime of chemical weapons, which would be for the international community legitimate grounds for direct intervention."
The Syrian conflict has claimed up to 20,000 lives, according to estimates by various Syrian opposition groups.
The West is pushing for Assad`s ouster, while Russia and China are trying to prevent outside interference in Syria, saying the Assad regime and the opposition are both to blame for the bloodshed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Sunny Leone in trouble after singing national anthem at Pro Kabaddi League match - Here's why
- Another ISIS suspect arrested from Maharashtra's Thane district
- Oops! Shah Rukh Khan, Rohit Shetty friends no more?
- NASA's NEEMO 21 research mission begins, aquanauts splash down!
- Congress leader Digvijay Singh taken aback after seeing his name in Below Poverty Line list