France: Sarkozys install £70K ovens on new plane
London: French President Nicolas Sarkozy and his superstar wife Carla Bruni may have long been criticised for their luxurious lifestyle, but that apparently doesn’t stop them from indulging more.
It has emerged that Sarkozy recently spent more than GBP 65,000 to equip his new GBP 50 million worth Airbus A330 with state-of-the art airborne ovens.
A further GBP 2 million was spent on bringing Sarkozy’s office up to scratch.
While world leaders, including British Prime Minister David Cameron, have been known to use budget airlines to travel, the Sarkozys insist on five star travel and accommodation wherever they go.
The First Lady even made sure that the very best music centre, including a DVD player, was fitted on the plane.
But it is the cooking facilities on the presidential airline, nicknamed Air Sarko One, which is likely to cause the most anger across recession-hit France.
According to the new report – which was released on the day Sarkozy wrote to MPs asking them to cut costs – the ovens cost EUR 75,234, or GBP 66,555.
Public accounts also showed that the couple used taxpayers` money to settle GBP 3,000 of fines for late payment of electricity and gas bills.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?