France says to abstain in Palestinian UNSC vote
Paris: France confirmed on Friday that it would
abstain in a Security Council vote on full Palestinian
membership of the United Nations, deputy foreign ministry
spokesman Romain Nadal said.
"France reiterates its consistent proposal to envisage
for Palestine, at this stage, the status of non-member
observer state through a UN General Assembly vote that would
be another step towards admission," Nadal said.
"While the region is seeing upheavals, the legitimacy of
the Palestinian desire for a state is indisputable. The
Palestinian demand however has no chance of achieving anything
at the Security Council notably because of the United States`
"France... has warned the international community of the
risks of confrontation and blockage that such a move could
"That`s why yesterday France`s permanent representative
at the United Nations said that France would have no choice
but to abstain at the Security Council," Nadal said.
The declaration confirmed what France, along with Britain
and Colombia, reportedly told the Security Council at a
closed-door hearing on Thursday, namely that they would
abstain in any eventual Palestinian vote.
The promised abstentions on top of the US threat to veto
such a resolution adds to pressure on the Palestinians to find
an alternative way to press their case for greater
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional