France says to abstain in Palestinian UNSC vote
Paris: France confirmed on Friday that it would
abstain in a Security Council vote on full Palestinian
membership of the United Nations, deputy foreign ministry
spokesman Romain Nadal said.
"France reiterates its consistent proposal to envisage
for Palestine, at this stage, the status of non-member
observer state through a UN General Assembly vote that would
be another step towards admission," Nadal said.
"While the region is seeing upheavals, the legitimacy of
the Palestinian desire for a state is indisputable. The
Palestinian demand however has no chance of achieving anything
at the Security Council notably because of the United States`
"France... has warned the international community of the
risks of confrontation and blockage that such a move could
"That`s why yesterday France`s permanent representative
at the United Nations said that France would have no choice
but to abstain at the Security Council," Nadal said.
The declaration confirmed what France, along with Britain
and Colombia, reportedly told the Security Council at a
closed-door hearing on Thursday, namely that they would
abstain in any eventual Palestinian vote.
The promised abstentions on top of the US threat to veto
such a resolution adds to pressure on the Palestinians to find
an alternative way to press their case for greater
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory