France says to abstain in Palestinian UNSC vote
Paris: France confirmed on Friday that it would
abstain in a Security Council vote on full Palestinian
membership of the United Nations, deputy foreign ministry
spokesman Romain Nadal said.
"France reiterates its consistent proposal to envisage
for Palestine, at this stage, the status of non-member
observer state through a UN General Assembly vote that would
be another step towards admission," Nadal said.
"While the region is seeing upheavals, the legitimacy of
the Palestinian desire for a state is indisputable. The
Palestinian demand however has no chance of achieving anything
at the Security Council notably because of the United States`
"France... has warned the international community of the
risks of confrontation and blockage that such a move could
"That`s why yesterday France`s permanent representative
at the United Nations said that France would have no choice
but to abstain at the Security Council," Nadal said.
The declaration confirmed what France, along with Britain
and Colombia, reportedly told the Security Council at a
closed-door hearing on Thursday, namely that they would
abstain in any eventual Palestinian vote.
The promised abstentions on top of the US threat to veto
such a resolution adds to pressure on the Palestinians to find
an alternative way to press their case for greater
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!