France says will attend China dissident`s Nobel ceremony
Paris: France will attend the December
prize ceremony for Chinese Nobel Peace laureate Liu Xiaobo
despite pressure from Beijing for western countries to boycott
it, the French foreign ministry said on Tuesday.
"Every year at this prize-giving France is always
represented by its ambassador to Norway. This tradition will
be upheld this year," ministry spokesman Bernard Valero told
The ceremony takes place on December 10 in Oslo, home
of the Norwegian Nobel Committee which awards the peace prize.
China was enraged by the committee`s decision to award
the peace prize to Liu, a writer and rights activist who is
serving an 11-year prison sentence in China for subversion.
Diplomats from several countries said China`s embassy
in Oslo had sent letters to western missions implicitly
cautioning them not to attend the prize ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days