France says will attend China dissident`s Nobel ceremony
Paris: France will attend the December
prize ceremony for Chinese Nobel Peace laureate Liu Xiaobo
despite pressure from Beijing for western countries to boycott
it, the French foreign ministry said on Tuesday.
"Every year at this prize-giving France is always
represented by its ambassador to Norway. This tradition will
be upheld this year," ministry spokesman Bernard Valero told
The ceremony takes place on December 10 in Oslo, home
of the Norwegian Nobel Committee which awards the peace prize.
China was enraged by the committee`s decision to award
the peace prize to Liu, a writer and rights activist who is
serving an 11-year prison sentence in China for subversion.
Diplomats from several countries said China`s embassy
in Oslo had sent letters to western missions implicitly
cautioning them not to attend the prize ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Missing Japanese journalist's photo posted online
- Haryana Govt. to file application over Jat reservation issue today
- Liquor mafia attacks police, media personnel in Madhya Pradesh; 2 held
- 'Dishoom' poster OUT! Varun Dhawan, John Abraham look uber classy
- Starving Iraqis risk all to flee Islamic State`s crumbling rule