France says will attend China dissident`s Nobel ceremony
Paris: France will attend the December
prize ceremony for Chinese Nobel Peace laureate Liu Xiaobo
despite pressure from Beijing for western countries to boycott
it, the French foreign ministry said on Tuesday.
"Every year at this prize-giving France is always
represented by its ambassador to Norway. This tradition will
be upheld this year," ministry spokesman Bernard Valero told
The ceremony takes place on December 10 in Oslo, home
of the Norwegian Nobel Committee which awards the peace prize.
China was enraged by the committee`s decision to award
the peace prize to Liu, a writer and rights activist who is
serving an 11-year prison sentence in China for subversion.
Diplomats from several countries said China`s embassy
in Oslo had sent letters to western missions implicitly
cautioning them not to attend the prize ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city