France says will attend China dissident`s Nobel ceremony
Paris: France will attend the December
prize ceremony for Chinese Nobel Peace laureate Liu Xiaobo
despite pressure from Beijing for western countries to boycott
it, the French foreign ministry said on Tuesday.
"Every year at this prize-giving France is always
represented by its ambassador to Norway. This tradition will
be upheld this year," ministry spokesman Bernard Valero told
The ceremony takes place on December 10 in Oslo, home
of the Norwegian Nobel Committee which awards the peace prize.
China was enraged by the committee`s decision to award
the peace prize to Liu, a writer and rights activist who is
serving an 11-year prison sentence in China for subversion.
Diplomats from several countries said China`s embassy
in Oslo had sent letters to western missions implicitly
cautioning them not to attend the prize ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was strangled, body burnt with petrol: Mumbai Police chief