France says will attend China dissident`s Nobel ceremony
Paris: France will attend the December
prize ceremony for Chinese Nobel Peace laureate Liu Xiaobo
despite pressure from Beijing for western countries to boycott
it, the French foreign ministry said on Tuesday.
"Every year at this prize-giving France is always
represented by its ambassador to Norway. This tradition will
be upheld this year," ministry spokesman Bernard Valero told
The ceremony takes place on December 10 in Oslo, home
of the Norwegian Nobel Committee which awards the peace prize.
China was enraged by the committee`s decision to award
the peace prize to Liu, a writer and rights activist who is
serving an 11-year prison sentence in China for subversion.
Diplomats from several countries said China`s embassy
in Oslo had sent letters to western missions implicitly
cautioning them not to attend the prize ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Rs 7L for Sikh girl, Rs 5L for a Brahmin: `Love jihad` WhatsApp message goes viral in Gujarat
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- ICC World T20: Pakistan announce 15-man squad; Shahid Afridi to lead, Ahmed Shehzad dropped